Wednesday 27 June 2012

Day 4 - Saumur to Tours

Hi all! I'm afraid it's just me doing the blog again tonight. Everyone is willing to help, but once I get all the pictures sorted, it's late and everyone is having a final glass of wine or they're in bed (tonight its wine in a Lebanese restaurant in the old section of Tours). I'll do my best to tell today's story - as always the pics tell the story best.

The first couple of photos are from last night. I stayed at the hotel, but everyone else enjoyed a bit of Saumur night life.

Today started foggy but once the mist cleared, the sun came out in strength. We were all happy about the sun until we started cycling. Wowser - it got hot!! The temperature got up to 31 degrees. I cycled only until mid-morning, as I didn't feel well, but the rest trudged on valiently. They cycled 50 miles but it felt like 60.

In the final few kilometres Derek put his bike in the van and went to see the gardens of Chateau Villandry with Trish. It was 2 visits in one day for Trish as she went to see the gardens earlier with me. I'm glad Derek joined us because after the visit to the chateau we drove into Tours for our hotel and the traffic was mad! A tram system is being built in the heart of the city (where our hotel is) so roads are closed, diversions are everywhere and it was rush hour!! It got a bit a tense for Trish, as it would for me, so Derek was able to help us.

Mike wanted to see the gardens as well and Joe kindly offered to guide all the other cyclists into Tours while he visited the chateau. But Mike being Mike, he doesn't like to shift responsibility, so he led his crew home. They cycled past our van as we were stuck in a traffic jam. Joe told us afterwards he was glad Mike didn't visit the chateau, it would have been crazy leading everyone to the hotel. Yup, everyone appreciates Mike's navigation abilities.

Not much else to say really - I'm getting back on the bike tomorrow for a 60 mile day. But we end in a hotel on the grounds of Chateau Chambord - the biggest chateau on the Loire. I am soo excited about getting there!! It has 365 chimney pots and a double helix staircase - how cool is that!

My hunny bunny


Hugh used to play double bass in a jazz band. This is the bar/club
where he used to play when in Saumur. Mike made sure that we
stopped in Saumur. I'm so glad he did - it's a beautiful town, even if
most of what I saw was through my hotel window.

Having fun without me :(

This was the view from my room at dawn. There was a thick fog
covering the river - you can't see the castle at all.
Derek heading out first thing in the morning.

Ahhh sweet couple.

Another view of Saumur from the bridge.

Trish walked around the town taking pics after we cycled off.
Our first morning break.
Liz and Brian by the Loire.

Comparing 6-packs
Mid-morning I was done in and quit cycling for the day. Derek called
Trish to come get me and here I'm resting while I wait. I really
needed sleep and conked out in the van as soon she got there.

Trish and I went to Villandry and took a eisurely stroll around the gardens.


Trish and I met everyone for lunch and they were exhausted. They were
cycling in hot sun with the wind against them, no wonder
Hugh is falling asleep.

Liz dishing out her delicious homemade energy bars.
Much needed today!

Lunch is over and they're back on the bikes.

Trish went back to Villandry gardens with Derek after lunch - I slept in the van.
As always - beer after a long day in the saddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment